The North Dakota Rant
The following rant was received in multiple versions by e-mail during February 2001 and discussed in a Plains Folk column in March 2001.
Issued by the North Dakota Tourism Bureau to ALL visiting Californians and
Enjoy your visit in the Peace Garden State!
- Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at Kroll's Kitchen. It's a
diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they
know. If you upset the ladies in the kitchen, they'll kick your ass.
- Don't laugh at the names of our little towns (Minnewauken, Rolla,
Gackle, Osnabrock, Cando, Walhalla, Zap, etc.) or we will just HAVE to kick
- Don't order a bottle or a can of soda here. Up here it's called pop.
Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an ass kicking.
- We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you. We are also
better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don't refer to us as a bunch of
hicks or we'll kick your ass.
- We have plenty of business sense. You have to to make a living up here.
Naturally, we do sometimes have small lapses in judgment from time to time,
but we are not dumb enough to let someone move to our state in order to run
for the Senate. If someone tried to do that, we would kick their ass.
- Don't laugh at our giant fiberglass cows and our turtles made out of car
parts. Anything that inspires tourists to buy 50,000 postcards can't be
bad. When you're in Jamestown, don't point at the genitalia on the giant
buffalo or we'll kick your ass.
- We are fully aware of how cold it gets here in the winter, so shut the
hell up. Just spend your money and get the hell out of here or we'll kick
- Don't order the vegetarian special at the local diner. Everyone will
instantly know that you're a tourist. Eat your steak well-done like God
intended and have some potatoes with that, for heaven's sake! Also, don't
ask what a hot dish is or we'll kick your ass.
- Don't try to fake a NoDak accent. We don't have an accent. Do NOT
mention the movie "Fargo" as that will incite a riot and you will get your
- Don't talk about how much better things are at home because we know
better. Many of us have visited big-city hell-holes like Detroit, New York,
and LA, and we have the scars to prove it. If you don't like it here,
Northwest Airlines is ready when you are. Move your ass on home before it
- Yes, we know that ice fishing is "not your thing." We don't care. If
you don't understand the beauty of being out on a lake when it's 10 degrees
then you should go home and try fishing in New York Harbor. Also, don't
hog the heater in the fish house or we'll kick your ass.
- Don't complain that North Dakota is flat and that there aren't enough
trees. If you whine about OUR scenic beauty we'll kick your ass all the
way back to Cleveland.
- Don't ridicule our mannerisms. We only speak when spoken to. We hold
doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such things
are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet,
little grey-haired grandmothers or they will kick some manners into your
ass just like they did ours.
- So you think we're quaint or losers because most of us live on the
prairie? That's because we have enough sense to not live in filthy,
smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or LA. Make fun of our fresh
air and we'll kick your ass.
- Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE to come out here and tell us how the
prairie should "go back to the buffalo." This will get your ass shot
(right after it is kicked). Just mention this once and you will go home in
a pine box. Minus your ass.