Cornmeal Muffins or Cornbread
You've got to have cornbread of some kind to go with certain dishes, such as pork and beans, or to serve as the base for a cornbread stuffing. This recipe (makes 12 muffins or one pan) is pretty basic, and it uses buttermilk, which seems to me only proper in any sort of baked good that uses baking powder.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lard
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Grease tins and heat oven to 425o.
- Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in the lard.
- Beat eggs and buttermilk in another bowl, then add to the dry ingredients, mixing just enough to get everything wet.
- Pour into tins and bake 15-20 minutes.